IPH-HIV: HIV/AIDS Studies
This course provides an in-depth overview of HIV/AIDS at the graduate level, with a focus on the international public health implications of this crisis, including:
- history and background
- retroviruses and the discovery of HIV
- how HIV remains controversial
- why Africa is especially affected
- evidence-based global health policies to address AIDS/HIV.
The overall objectives of this course are:
- To understand the history of HIV/AIDS
- The understand the current state of knowledge on testing and treatment
- To discuss ongoing controversies and their effect on policy
- To have a clear perspective on the situation in Africa.
Upon completion of this course, the student is expected to able to:
- be able to outline the complex history of HIV/AIDS
- discuss basic virological concepts related to HIV/AIDS
- engage in high level conversations regarding AIDS denialism
- discuss the current state of affairs, per WHO reporting.